Thursday, April 2, 2015

HausFrau Speaks-Twitter, Twits & Hausfrau

A very long time ago, when I was a pre-teen (yes, it WAS the Dark Ages), I felt sorry for my little sister.  She was what they called THEN "slow" or that dreaded "R" word.  But God help the person that used that word when referencing my little sister!  She was all heart, she was able to find beauty in the ugliest of things, and most of all, the things people said to her, she never seemed to understand. She would just put that silly smile on her face, then continue with whatever project she was working on.  Someone might say to her "Hey Retard, you are an idiot, aren't you?" And she would just look at the speaker and smile and say "Well God makes all kinds."  It rarely seemed to bother her, but when something DID hurt her feelings, huge tears would form in her big blue eyes (all magnified by those thick glasses she wore).  Seeing those tears ripped my heart out.  I don't remember even one time she used profanity, I don't remember her ever getting angry...she seemed to always be loving and kind...and she never seemed to see the ugliness in the world.

After she was killed, and I realized how empty my life was without her, after I realized how I had just always assumed that she would always be a part of my life...I replayed moments we had shared, I remembered the horrors we had managed to survive together...I may have saved her life physically...but she saved my life emotionally.  I NEEDED her!  I needed her to help me NOT SEE the ugliness outside our door, she needed me to PROTECT her from what I saw.

I think now that she was lucky.  She didn't seem to understand the hateful sarcasm people said to her.  And unless the comment was especially rude and she was forced by the perpetrator to acknowledge the hate speech, or unless I was feeling especially "froggy" I would ignore it like she did.  But, God knows, most of the kids at school knew that I was a volatile young person, and I didn't hesitate in protecting my sister if I felt she needed it.

Over the years, my anger has abated...i think the last time I lost my temper was back in 1983 or 84.  I've tried my best to be more like my sister, to let hateful comments pass without comment.  I now wonder if my sister truly didn't understand what people were saying...or if she just had more self control than I did. Maybe ignorance IS bliss!

When Twitter was first introduced, my geeky son said "mom, you GOTTA try this!"  Then, acting just like my dad would have, I said "well, I refuse to be a Twit!"  That refusal stayed intact until this stupid trial.  It seemed that to NOT know the gossip, was just too unbearable!   I guess I expected something different from Twitter than it is.  Twitter is defined by its users.  And from my limited experience, it's like walking the streets of South Central with the word NERD tattooed on your forehead, and hundred dollar bills falling out of your pocket!  You are going to get mugged!

Those same kids who picked on my sister now live on Twitter. Although they proclaim to be married, have children and have jobs...it's beyond me how if all (or even some) of those things occupy their time, how do they manage to spend all that time on Twitter? My "child" is over 40 now, but when he was young, the attention HE NEEDED far surpassed any other activities I wanted to do!  I'm retired now, I have very few social obligations, so I'm able to spend an hour or two online...but, even at that, the house needs to be cleaned, groceries purchased, attending doctor appointments are required.  Maybe I have poor time management skills!

At first, I just lurked, reading what other people wrote...then, I would re-tweet something I agreed with. It was not long after that the personal attacks began. At first I thought “ignore them”, they will either grow up, move or graduate from middle school. Then, I thought “stand up for yourself”…but I've discovered that making any comment is just  like picking at that grotesque pimple in the middle of your forehead, it only makes it bigger, redder and more disgusting…so, I’ve just decided that I don’t need to visit that barrio called Twitville!  I've also discovered that even staying off Twitter doesn't stop the harassment.  After withdrawing from Twitter, ugly comments  began showing up here, and even uglier statements were written in "Parody" blogs.

I don't understand WHY!  What have I ever done to deserve this vitroil? What have I done to earn threats to my husband's livelihood? I'm a size 8...can someone tell me exactly WHY an elderly woman who is still a size 8 deserves to be called a COW, and earn #MooMoo?

While I am at it…I will clear up one more misconception! Racism in our country is not new. When the Irish arrived, they were discriminated against, as were the Italians, Swedes, Swiss, etc. My roots are, at least in part, from the Pennsylvania Dutch, who weren’t from the Netherlands, but Germany. Deutche mispronounced by Americans came out "Dutch”. When the Pennsylvania Dutch worked their way west! into the territories, they too, were discriminated against. And the phrase “drunk as a Dutchman” came into usage. My grandfather used that phrase a lot with toddlers just learning to walk that came into the house. He’d say “Look at him go! Drunk as a Dutchman!” Perhaps an odd phrase for a family that NEVER consumed spirits! 

There were a few years, when I was in my 30’s, newly released from all family ties through the deaths of my dad, sister, and her son and then both of my grandparents, where I tested the strength of “spirits”, but most of my life, I’ve been a non-drinker. I'm STILL a non-drinker due to the many medications for ne inevitably takes after reaching age 60, and your stuffing begins to leak out of your seams!

In the past 10 years, as my physical health has diminished, and I’ve lost my eyesight due to a hereditary disease and cataracts, I find that I stumble along, and I'm reminded of my grandfather's phrase "drunk as a Dutchman"

Eight years ago, when I moved in with my DH, he teased that I wasnt a very good “hausfrau”…and truly, I’m not.  But, my husband still uses "my little hausfrau" when he teases me! Now, perhaps, with the cataract/corneal replacement surgery I had almost 3 weeks ago, my hausfrau skills will improve!  I’m beginning to see more and more of what I hadn’t seen before! There are fingerprints on everything…and the grout between the tiles ISNT tan, it’s DIRT…and I have to wonder how we are able to breathe at all with all that dust and dirt on the fan that seems to run 24 hours of every day…I’ll have to contract a housekeeper after I get the house clean enough for the housekeeper to get into the door and not run away in fright!

So, as I began playing with words and phrases to determine what I was going to call this blog, and attempting to define what I was going to write about…the phrase “drunk as a Dutchman” came to mind...then I wondered how I would change that to the female gender, but  Drunk housewife didn't sound right, so I ended up with DrunkenHausfrau. 

While I understand that we ALL seem to think the world revolves ONLY around US…should anyone suspect that I chose that name ONLY to make fun of them or embarrass them in any way, they should realize that is incorrect assumption. I KNOW it is easy to personalize things like this, but, imaginations are in overdrive due to all the backbiting that has recently occurred in Twitland.  

So, “gentle reader”, I have sworn ever visiting Twitville again…as far as I am concerned, it belongs to ALL of you….and after you all cannabilize one another, please stay off of my blog.  I do not want or need the hateful comments you bring!

My family and friends and I are busily living our lives.  In the past few months, we've been saying goodbye to loved ones that are sick, or who have passed, I've had to attend funerals, some of us have gone on vacation or have home; we are welcoming Spring; enjoying retirement; having surgeries; and loving our children and spouses. 

Your derisive comments are not welcome here…either go back to Twitville, or start your own blog. We have no room for whatever you offer, we have no comments to add to your blogs and twits. We are all old enough to know that talking to a wall or trying to teach a pig to sing doesn’t work. The wall won’t move, and both the pig and teacher end up frustrated.

So…off you go! Buh-bye…have a good life!

Gramma used to say: “Be smart, listen to your elders; they didn’t get old by being stupid.”


17 comments:

  1. Good job! I am much like you, I don't pick a fight but I protect those I love and I don't back away from a fight. The twists and turns on Twitter and downright lies and scandals have me aghast that these people think they are intelligent and better than everyone else! I've said it before, that is going to be a looooonnnggg fall from that tower of self-adoration. Sickening! I think I officially made about 7 tweets in my entire life and was quickly blocked and picked on because I called a liar out. You're still a liar! Once again, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hate when that happens...I guess I got verbose, and overwhelmed my system with about 4200 words too many!

    You are right, Truly...the higher you fly, the longer the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm going to stick it out until the 13th. I want to see thru to the end of what was started. After that? I probably have better things to do also. (I know I have to learn to belly-dance before the next winter sets in. Ha-ha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Pirate! I can always count on you to make me laugh! Yes, I'll join you for belly dancing! I looked forward to retiring for over 45 years...I showed up everyday, gave my employer 200% of what he paid me to do, and there were days where all I wanted to do was sing that song "Take this Job and Shove It!"

      If you are planning on staying live on TwitLand, I'll just rely on you for the news...there comes a point where what you pay for something just isn't justified...please return to us all in one piece...

      Delete
  4. Also, I didn't miss the main point here, Hasufrau, I am sorry there are people in this world who pick on others. It's horrendous anytime but especially for people like your sister. I am sorry for the hurt of those attacks, and for the worst hurt of losing her, but she helped to make you who you are today and I know she is proud of you! I wish the world were kinder and gentler, to all people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly, thank you so much! I, too wish that people were kinder and gentler. My husband said "honey, if all people treated one another the way they want others to treat THEM...there would be no need for lawyers." And God knows, there is no shortage of attorneys!

      My sister was raped, and being the good Christian girl she was, could not bring herself to have an abortion. The ONLY person she ever told who did it was me...but I honored her wishes to not tell and "get him into trouble"...she loved little children...the pre-schoolers, toddlers and babies...and the church she went to allowed her to be a "Sunday School Teacher" to the little ones.

      But, without ever asking my sister about the events...the church board told her one Sunday that she couldn't teach Sunday School anymore...because they didn't want the babies to be around "that kind of girl" (one who is unmarried and pregnant!) ...they had obviously forgotten that Jesus himself was friends with "that kind of girl" and worse....and it wasn't what those
      people said that broke her heart...it was because she had come to love all those children she cared for on Sundays, and she wasn't allowed to see them again...she cried for days...and even now, 40 years later, I am still upset that people who called themselves "Christians" would treat a rape victim that way, that they would treat such a special, loving, wonderful young woman that way...that they would hurt my sister...I'm sure, at some point, they will have to answer for being such prigs...if not in this life, then in the next.

      I am reminded in this story, how the siblings of Travis must feel. I know the emptiness they feel when they think of their dear brother...I know the anger and frustration they must feel toward the person who hurt him then murdered him. I wish that my experiences helped me tell them that the pain and loss will eventually go away...but that just isn't so...the pain diminishes, but never evaporates!

      I know in my heart that my sister watches over me...I believe that she is my Guardian Angel....I don't want to rush off to "Heaven" too soon...but, I know one day we will be reunited, and the part of me that's seemed to be missing for the past 40 years, will be restored.

      Thank you for reassuring me that she would have been proud of me...I needed to hear that...and that is the largest, most treasured gift I could ever receive. (It cost nothing but is more valuable than anything in the world!)

      Delete
    2. Oh that just makes my heart break. Too often those who confess to be Christians forget they are there to SERVE God's children and not to judge them. Your sister will have a special place in heaven because of what she suffered here, be assured of that!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Truly...yes, I'm sure that she has a special place in heaven...when she died...I promised myself that I was going to live life as fully as I possibly could, because it just isn't right that a 19 year old, that had endured a full lifetime of challenges and hurt, never got the chance to enjoy the "good" parts of life...and I've done a really good job of stuffing more life than I thought possible into the years I've been given...

      There just "happened" to be four of us cousins all born within a few months of one another...David...died yesterday of ALS, Lou Gehrig's Disease.
      Then I was the first granddaughter born, Mark was next, he died when he was 9 when he was thrown off a caterpillar tractor and then, it rolled over on him and crushed him, and Jannie, the "youngest" of us four born that year has stage 4 cancer and is taking chemo treatment...her husband died of a brain aneurysm several years ago, before he even turned 60...they had been married 38 years...for as much as I complain about my failing eyesight (which is being fixed) my degenerative spine, the arthritis eating
      my joints, the Fibro working on my muscles and nerves and the constant pain I deal with...I DO realize how lucky I am in comparison....

      The one thing I've discovered is that "you cannot hurt more than you love"...pain/love is like a pendulum..,if you love greatly, as I loved my sister, the loss will hurt greatly...if you don't invest any love, the pain will meet the amount of your investment. Yes, it's dangerous to love, you may get hurt...put, if you don't love, you miss out on the most rewarding moments of life.

      Your comments are always so wonderful, and I'm so grateful for your loving concern...thank you...

      Have a great easter!

      Delete
  5. Drunken Hausfrau - I adore you. That is all. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Margo, I adore you, too! My readers are very important to me, and it's wonderful comments like yours that keep me going! My Gramma used to say that it's easier to be critical and tear someone down...and although it's harder to raise someone up, it's more rewarding for both! Happy Easter, my friend!

      Delete
    2. Happy Easter to you too! Hope you got spoiled with lots of your favourite treats. Your Gramma was a wise woman, but there are those that deserve to be torn down. I'm certain that you raise up the deserving in a beautiful way. Your writing is one of my favourite things, and I thank you for it! xo

      Delete
  6. OK. I have been doing much research. Instead of Belly-dancing for change.....I suggest we all learn THIS routine. I think we might just make enough money for a trip to McDonalds. Tell me what you all think. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMNtZMJ72h8&feature=em-share_video_user

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pirate...I hate to tell you this...but mama is about 57 years too late to learn that! You probably did not know that those ladies start taking hula lessons as soon as the are able to walk! Way back in the 70s...my best friends were two sisters; Evalani and Lailani, who grew up in Hilo. Eva was (at that time) the only woman who did "the Fire Knife Dance" and she was VERY good at it...I will see if I can find any video of her dancing! He danced the native dances if Hawaii, Tahiti, Tonga and the Philippines...VERY beautiful and wonderful to
      watch!! It's really a wonderful exercise...I always envied her...she could eat anything and everything...because she danced 3 hours every night, 6 nights a week!

      Delete
    2. Wow! That's a whole lotta shakin' goin' on!

      Delete
    3. Truly, that is why I suggested it! We can ALL shake things up!

      Delete
  7. I went to Wal-Mart for some things and stepped to the back of the store for a gallon of milk from behind one of those big glass doors. I noticed a young man, I think in his early twenties, standing with what turned out to be his mother. He was obviously mentally challenged; suffering this and other related or unrelated maladies, affecting his mannerisms, walk, and speech.

    He stood right beside the glass door. As I opened it, he said, “Hi”, rather loudly. I remember the open happiness and joy in his eyes and in his overloud but friendly voice.

    I said, “Hey, buddy.”

    We struck up a conversation. I don’t remember the content. I think it included subjects like buying milk and shopping with one’s mother at Wal-Mart. At first, his mother started to come over to hover but then stood back and paid attention from a distance. After a moment, I finally said, “Okay, buddy, I’ve got to go.” He said, smiley broadly, “Okay.”

    I glanced at his mother. And this is the part I remember well. We all have looks that show our attitudes. Sometimes the looks are strong, and sometimes they are slight. Her look was strong of genuine happiness. Someone had treated her son well, not condescending or at arm’s length, but had engaged her young man as if he were just other fellow on planet Earth.

    How we treat each other says more about us than all the self-describing words in all the books and blogs ever written. There are a lot of people mistreating each other in the world. This is not new. What’s new is the method of communications. It is a new ability to sit in a basement in New York and blast a writer in Montana with baseless accusations through a click of the entry key, simply because the basement dweller does not agree with the content of the Montanan’s essays.

    This instant communications has made things too easy. It does not require effort. It’s a virtual freedom, promised as a good thing, but a liberty leading to tyranny of words. Freedom of Speech ends where defamation begins, but this is a lesson not yet learned online.

    Editors prevented much of the bashing now seen in blogs and their contained comments sections. They accepted only those essays written in solid English, without overtly libelous content. Editors were the responsible parties. Now, the editor has been removed. A writer of a blog is free to fill his or her essays with horribly written prose and any number of libels. The evil stink of such blogs and their comments sections fills cyberspace, threatening to overwhelm all common sense.

    HausFrau: You and I stand on opposite sides of this Arias issue. That is clear. However, after having read through some of your essays, I see your efforts are honest and your manner true. So, let us condemn those who use words to destroy the messenger of unpopular ideas. When we debate others, let us debate fairly and honorably. Let’s us be the beginning of the best the Internet and not allow the vileness of others to drag us down to the level of the lowest common denominator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, Richard. Everything you say is true, it is what we have become...rather "bi-polar" or something..(pardon my Fibro-fog, it's 05:30, I'm awake because I need pain meds, not because I'm lucid). What I mean by that is that we present ourselves as one person to "real" people, but the moment we get online, with the anonymity we have with a pseudonym, we seem to think we can say anything we want with no repercussions and no consequences! "THIS" is NOT "real life", and I am truly frightened for the future!

      When meeting others "face to face", common decency requies that we not spew filth at other people, whose thoughts and opinions we just so happen to "not agree". We possess a modicum of decency and "good breeding" to at LEAST contain the vitriol! Yet this same "common decency" seems to evaporate when fingers begin "massaging the keyboard". It doesn't seem to matter that our child has wet drawers (again!) or that Gramma has asked us five times to "please go get eggs and pick up my prescription"...all that seems to matter is that the compulsion to force everyone to agree with our point of view, and, should they disagree, feel the wrath of our (obvious) (to us) moral superiority! Your words were much more eloquent than mine...but, bottom line, we DO agree on the sad state of affairs!

      You are correct, there are some things about the Alexander Murder Trial and Jodi Arias that you, me, and several thousand others do not agree with, but you might be surprised that we DO agree on other associated issues! If I may, I will outline some thoughts, in no particular order (back to fibro fog)...

      1) While Americans have every right to watch the trial proceedings, we DO NOT have the right to interfere with "due process". We MUST accept the jury's decision and accept that the "process" works.

      2) No matter HOW much the machinations of the process offend us, we CANNOT spew libelous statements about the Defense Team into the Blogosphere that we claim are "fact" and later, slither off to our hole and pretend that we weren't being irresponsible when our News Nugget is proven to be false! An unpaid BLOGGER is just as responsible as a JOURNALIST working for a legitimate news organization.

      Richard, I tried to read your blog yesterday, and consume the massive amount of content....but my failure to understand is due, mostly, to my "Fibro Fog", which seems to last longer through the day than it used to. Some of my issue relates to being in the middle of eye surgery: I've had a corneal transplant and removal of the cataract in my right eye, my left eye is scheduled to be corrected in just a few days. In the interim, I'm playing the part of Leela (the cyclops in Futurama): even with my "old" glasses, I'm still "legally blind" in my left eye; and the right eye, while MUCH improved, still needs glasses for "minor" correction...the mismatch of the two eyes not working in tandem, causes eye strain and headaches...so, until next week... I must delay a complete answer/comment in response to your post. But, I promise to do so in the near future!

      You and I might not agree on everything...but that we "agree to disagree" and agree to keep our exchange of ideas, our debates, respectful, honest and without cruelty is a giant step forward, not for just ourselves, but globally.....for our children (they learn through observation), our parents and other family, our neighbors and countrymen.

      I look forward to exchanging dialog with you in the vey near future...

      Delete